To
author George J. Sanchez: I really appreciate the way that you analyze the
issues of the Mexican-Americans in the United States in a linear process and
through a quantitative and statistical way. The way that you presented the
throughout the first three chapter shows a reasonably logical and
well-integrated system of development from where the immigrants are from, to
the reason why they want to leave due to the status quo, and the situations in
their dreamed destination, then to how they settle down, how they are perceived
by the “Americans”, and all the dilemmas they faced. Your main advantage in
creating this book is that it is especially precise and accurate and
quantitative evidence-based in every aspect. On the other hand, I would like to
point out that it may be even better to provide with the reader a linear
development of the residences of the Mexican-Americans in L.A. in a
chronological way and put them in a suitable array. In this way, it will be
more easy for the readers, especially residents in L.A., to comprehend how this
book’s topic is intimately connected to them in a close way.
How do get "the right to difference"?
The following is a letter written to Willow S. Lung-Aman, author of “Trespassers? Asian Americans and the Battle for Suburbia.” Dear Ms. Lung-Aman, After reading your book “Trespassers? Asian Americans and the Battle for Suburbia,” I was intrigued by your call for respecting “a right to difference.” You suggest that people of different identities should have to right to express one’s difference without exclusion or discrimination. In principle, I do not dispute that one should have genuine freedom of expression, but I am concerned how this can be realized. The first problem relates to the difficulty in convincing privileged communities to let go of their vested interests, which has existed since the beginning of human history, so I’ll move away from that. The second problem, related to the first to some extent, is how can we ensure that institutions can remain dynamic enough to allow for change. Just a few thoughts. Sincerely, Kare...
Comments
Post a Comment