Dear Willow S. Lung-Amam: I really appreciate your account on the projectile of the Asian American immigrants in thus area in California. Your extensive use of statistics is really impressive, and it provides with the reader with sufficient historical background to look at the issue of immigrants. To view the state of living of the Asian Americans in a chronological way, along with statistics to back up your claim, your descriptions in the book is concrete and authentic. The case studies that are used to chain up the observations are also remarkable in their typical features. In my personal opinion, your book's most important advantage is its ability to look at a single issue in the context of multi-dimensional historical context. You mentioned the rise of the Silicon Valley, the Immigration Act of 1965, and the opening up of Chinese mainlnd since the 1980s. Through these information, every reader is able to comprehend and perceive the existing pile of information with logic and relate them to true life experiences. I think you can also add in more statistics on the growth of Asian immigrants down specifically to different counties in detail, so that readers can have a better overview of the whole topic.
How do get "the right to difference"?
The following is a letter written to Willow S. Lung-Aman, author of “Trespassers? Asian Americans and the Battle for Suburbia.” Dear Ms. Lung-Aman, After reading your book “Trespassers? Asian Americans and the Battle for Suburbia,” I was intrigued by your call for respecting “a right to difference.” You suggest that people of different identities should have to right to express one’s difference without exclusion or discrimination. In principle, I do not dispute that one should have genuine freedom of expression, but I am concerned how this can be realized. The first problem relates to the difficulty in convincing privileged communities to let go of their vested interests, which has existed since the beginning of human history, so I’ll move away from that. The second problem, related to the first to some extent, is how can we ensure that institutions can remain dynamic enough to allow for change. Just a few thoughts. Sincerely, Kare...
Comments
Post a Comment