Black and Proud

Dear Tom,

Growing up, I didn’t daydream about love and marriage like other girls my age. From school to helping Granny with the laundry, there was so much work to do—when I finally got a moment to myself, I wasn’t foolish enough to imagine what I could never have. I knew that after I finished my education, I would come back home to take care of Granny and help with the laundry business. My life was already laid out for me, and love definitely wasn’t a part of the plan.

The past few years—coming to the North, studying medicine, meeting you—have been amazing. I found everything that I never thought I could have, and then much more. But all this time, one crucial thing was missing: me. As you now know, I’m colored; and my name isn’t Patricia, it’s Pinky. In the North, far away from Granny, Miss Em, and all the rest, I was able to pass for white and enter another world. For the first time in my life, I wasn’t  inferior. I wasn’t harassed. I wasn’t called names or spit at. I lived as an equal, without the constant presence of racism and discrimination. Passing changed everything—suddenly, I knew exactly what I was missing. I knew all that I could have if not for the label of “colored.”

Eventually, though, I came to see that the privileges I enjoyed while passing were meaningless because I wasn’t myself. I was denying my identity: the African-American heritage that I am so proud of and the Granny that I love so much. As much as I wanted to keep my life in the North, there came a day when I realized I couldn’t do so at the expense of myself. Can you try to understand? Going to Denver would mean running away from my identity forever. It would mean leaving my people. It would mean a lifetime of pretending.  You’ve got to make a break for it, you urged me on that fatal last day, get away from it! But I don’t want to get away from anything. I’m black, and proud of it.

I’m staying in the South with Granny, for good this time. I’ve converted Miss Em’s house into a clinic and nursery school for blacks, thus doing my part to bring my people closer to living the kind of life that I did as a white woman in the North. I hope you can one day understand why I made the decision that I did; why it’s so important for me to be myself. Please believe me when I say it’s better this way.

I am sorry, though, for the way that things ended between us. I really did love you, Tom, and appreciated your withholding judgment on my true identity and your support throughout the trial. I just wasn’t willing to pretend to be someone that I’m not. In the end, I loved myself and my blackness more than I loved you.

I wish you a lifetime of happiness, and hope this letter finds you healed. I’ll never forget you.

Yours,

Pinky Johnson

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Control

Letter to Claudia Rankine

What did you say