Dear Tom,

Watching you leaving that day, I suddenly felt grieved but relieved. Though things turned out to be so different from our original plans, I believe that’s the best ending for both of us.

I think a lot these days, about my life in the North, about those wrong behavior, about identities, about our relationship and future… the first mistake I made was that I did not tell the conductor the truth that I am not white. But I was just a child at that time, I just wanted to be treated better. However, things became out of my control later. Everyone assumed me as white and I did not have the courage to deny it. I always told myself that I never tried to pass off as a white girly, but as time passed by, I could no longer convince myself. I was afraid of being found out that I was not the”white girl” in your minds and lived in fear all day long, especially after I met you.

When you proposed to me, I was more frightened than delighted. Therefore, I ran back, witnessing the miserable life of black people here, just as it was many years ago. I wanted to escape. However, every time I saw my granny working hard for living, saw those little girls having no chance to get education, I felt I had the responsibility to make some changes for them, and myself. Miss Em and granny kept reminding me of “being who I am”, which led to the decisions I made—nursing Miss Em, suing Mrs Moley, opening the nursing school.

I was really thankful for all efforts you have paid for our future plans. But, my dear, no one can leave his family and culture behind to create a brand new life. Maybe that sounds plausible to you, but that sounds ridiculous to me. When I talked to you about “my people”, your answers had already informed me that it was impossible for us to live together for our whole life. I am proud of my race, I do not want to hide any more, I want to fight for my people.

Hopes everything goes well with you.

Yours, Pinky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How do get "the right to difference"?

Letter to Claudia Rankine

Control